Monday, March 9, 2009

I'm apparently lazy...

I'm getting more and more irritated with people who think that just because I'm a work at home mom that I have all the time in the world to do things for them.

First example: Someone at my church asked me to do a really big project that would take hours and hours of work. I turned them down because I didn't think it was right to take that time away from M. I chose to stay at home and take care of her. Not ignore her while I worked on projects. The person got really upset and murmured something along the lines of, "it's not like you do anything all day." Okay, Sara, deep breath. Maybe XXX is having a bad day and she didn't really mean it. Just be polite and firm.

Second example: Some friends invited us out to a fancy restaurant in town a couple of weekends from now. We decided to go, found a babysitter for M, and told them yes. Today I get this e-mail, "You need to call the restaurant and make our reservation for 5:15. I would do it, but I have a job." I made the reservation but called her on the comment. This is the reply I got, "Come on. We all know that I work more than you. You probably sit on your couch 90% of your day watching TV. You have time to make a phone call." I did make a phone call. I canceled the reservation. And my feelings are beyond hurt.

Why do people assume that stay at home moms are lazy? You know what I watched on TV today? Mickey Mouse Clubhouse while M ate breakfast. And I wasn't really watching. I was folding laundry. Surely that doesn't count as recreational television. The rest of the day the TV is off. I can't remember the last time I took a nap. I get up at 4:45 every morning at go to bed after 10 every night. Is that lazy? I don't understand people at all. It makes me not want to associate with anyone. I'm losing all faith in humanity.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

My Dad is always trying to get me to do things during the day because I just sit at home all day with nothing to do. Um, No.

My BFF always makes comments about it, too. Yeah, now that she has her own baby, she understands. Yeah, that's right; SHUT UP.

Michele said...

Seriously. Time to tattoo "bite me" on your forehead. Stay at home moms UNITE!