Monday, May 24, 2010

Last LOST recap EVER

*Sigh* It's over. I'm not going to do my normal play-by-play. I would love to, but you have to understand that it would be the longest blog post ever. It was the longest finale ever. So I'm just going to touch on some finer points of the show and we can discuss in the comments, or continue scratching our heads. Observations from the show:

-Previously on LOST, really? They just did a giant clip show from the beginning of the series to the last episode. They could have put that 50 seconds to better use.

-When Sawyer snuck up on Darth and Ben to spy on them at the well, did he seriously pick the smallest, scraggliest bush on the island to hide behind? Because that was a tiny bush, and it was, like, 3 feet from them. Sawyer's got some rough edges when it comes to being sneaky.

-It wouldn't have been a LOST episode without someone hitting Ben in the face with the butt of a gun, so well done, writers.

-My heart almost burst when I saw Vincent, Rose, and Bernard. For real, I love them all so much, and I worried that they would be one of the unanswered questions.

-I almost laughed out loud when Kate and Jack declared their love for each other. In fact, Hubs and I had to rewatch that part because we were too busy making up our own dialogue for that section.

-Hurley shooting Charlie in the back with a tranquilizer dart made my day. I lol-ed.

-I loved Ben in this episode. LOVED him.

-I don't usually laugh at anything involving Kate, unless she's getting punched or knocked down, but I laughed when she pointed out the obvious symbolism of Christian Shepherd's name.

-I laughed like a loon at two parts: The part where Locke "remembers" and they show him with the orange in his mouth. Locke was always a creepster, even when he was just normal Locke; and the part after he remembers and is giggling at Jack.

-Did any other Star Trek lovers think of the scene with Spock in "Wrath of Khan" when Desmond was turning off the light (or Jack was turning it on)?

-I jumped in the air and yelled "YEAH, BABY!" when we realized that Richard survived his trip into the trees, courtesy of the smoke monster. Hubs and I have been arguing about whether he was dead or not all week long.

-Daniel's fedora is his new skinny tie. He's worn it in every episode he's been in lately. I did something unheard of last night and stayed up to watch Jimmy Kimmel (usually waaay too late for me) and Daniel was wearing the SAME hat. I think it may be stuck to his head.

Okay. Onto what I think. I was furious last night. And disappointed. It took sleeping on it for awhile for me to come around a little bit. I am happy with the ending. I'm glad that they all get to be together. It would make sense that the relationships they forged on the island would be the most important in their lives. I thought the "going to heaven all together" thing was a bit contrived, but, hey, they made it to the end and we got to see them all whole and together, so I guess that makes me happy. They all got some form of redemption that they had been seeking, and became better people as opposed to their early, self-absorbed selves. Oh, but sorry David. You were just a figment of your dad's imagination. I'm sorry I kind of got into your story line because it didn't mean anything.

Questions I wish they would have answered. I know they said they wouldn't answer all the questions, and it's better that way. I just wish they would have answered a few of the big questions:

-Explain the light. I know Jacob eluded to its purpose, but he didn't explain it, nor why it was so important to protect. And it it seriously kept in place by a rock cork? You'd think the island protectors would have made it a little more foolproof.

-Explain the numbers. What are they exactly? Why do they show up EVERYWHERE? Why are they unlucky? Are they coordinates? The combination to Jacob's bus locker?

-I know this one is minor, but what was the Smoke Monster's name? Because we only know him as Smoke Monster, and if Allison Janney mom really named him that, what was she expecting? It's like naming your child Adolf and being surprised that he turns out to be a bully.

-Why did all of the women suddenly have bangs in season four?

-Why didn't Daniel, Miles, Lapidus, Richard, Eko, or Walt appear in the afterlife? Was it for couples and Hurley only?? I know Ben was resolving some things before he went into the church (waiting for Alex, and to apologize to Danielle, perhaps?), but where were those people? Michael said on Jimmy Kimmel that Michael was not there because he's forever stuck on the island, whispering. Bummer.

All in all, I guess I'm satisfied. I don't know what I was expecting. That wasn't it, but it wasn't terrible. The producers always said that the show was more about the characters than the mystery, but I wish they would have answered a few more questions.

What about you, what did you think?

3 comments:

Michele said...

Six years invested - and I still don't get it. At what point did they die? When the plane crashed? When the nuke went off? Why the super-detailed charade? Why do we have to wonder about Dharma and Jacob and electromagnetism and polar bears? Why was it so important that Jack protect the light - or cork what looked like hell and darkness? Was he earning his path to heaven - for him and everyone else? Is he supposed to be the Messiah?

I swear, I need a Q&A session with the creators. I understand we weren't supposed to get caught up in details and questions answered - but I seriously still don't get it. I think they'd be disappointed to learn that they left me more muddled in the head than when the show began six years ago. Unless it's just me. Which is possible since child-birthing and raising robs one of brain cells. But I used to be so quick to get stuff!! Maybe I'm just getting old.

Michele said...

By the way - thank you for your faithful recaps for the last couple of years. I appreciated them for the lolz and the memory-jogging they provided.

Nancy Face said...

I was a devoted viewer for the first three seasons, then on and off after that. I only watched two episodes this season (yep, I'm foolish)! So I really didn't know what was going on, haha! Therefore, it didn't bug me so much when questions weren't answered. It just made me really happy to see my favorite characters together and content. :)

This was a great post!