Sunday, July 12, 2009

Garage Sale Greatness....and other ramblings.

So, I love a good garage sale. In fact, my laundry pig and I go garage sale-ing almost every weekend. Who is my laundry pig? He's a hideous piggy bank that I got at a garage sale. Go figure. He lives in my detergent cabinet and when I find money in the wash, it goes in my laundry pig. We are very happy together and love each other very much. Moving on. We went out this weekend and it was FANTASTIC. If garage sales were a piece of music, this weekend would have been my opus. It was an amazing week. I'll start by telling you I only spent $8. Here's what I got:

Two sweet pairs of shoes. Both my size, both gently worn, both match outfits I have perfectly, and both are great for our beach trip. $3 for both.





Next, we hit the jewelry and accessories. I found a 1928 necklace with sapphire stones instead of garnets, but it's exactly like the garnet necklace that I got a couple of months ago, just with different stones. As for the other necklace I don't usually go for gold tones, but this was too funky to pass up. I love it. The watch is a great looking pewter cuff watch. It works, too. Jewelry $2.50 total.







Next I found some scarves for 25 cents each.





Last is my proudest purchase. I saw this skirt hanging on a rack at a nice estate sale. Then I saw something poking out of the band. Yes, it still had the tags on it. Brand spaking new. And it's beautiful and I love it. And the lady sold it to me for $2, because she is a saint.


As for my other ramblings - just some updates. Etsy store: Yes, I still plan on starting one. It's just that word of my sewing has gotten around at church and lots of people have approached me to doing sewing jobs for them and I have happily obliged. I am still working on Etsy products, but it has delayed the launch of my store. I'm hoping to have it up and running by the end of the month.

Even though I have a beautiful skirt, I am sad today. Tonight we put M to bed in her crib for the last time. Tomorrow morning the crib goes into storage and we start using the "big girl" bed. Today, someone at church told me that I don't have a baby anymore. I have a little girl. I wanted to go hide somewhere and cry. She's growing up too fast!! I can't keep up with it. I swear it was only yesterday that I was running in her room at 2am to feed her. Now she's going to sleep in a big girl bed. SAD. I am proud of her, though. She is compassionate and sweet. She is intelligent and a thinker. She loves books and art. She loves being outside. She's terrified of the water, but she's being brave as we work on learning to swim. She shares. She has real little girl hair now, instead of the baby mullet. She's good to her friends, and nice to the mean kids as well. She's happy. She's sweet. And she makes my life that much better, so I can't be too sad. I just miss my baby every once in awhile.

Lastly, did any of you ever read the Babysitter's Club books growing up? I'm curious.

4 comments:

Nancy Face said...

WOW! I LOVE all your awesome garage sale finds! SCORE! :D

Maybe I need to get me a laundry pig...

Michele said...

You are the luckiest garage saler in the world. Once again, I'm digging the 1928 jewelry. The skirt is gorgeous. Scarves? You must be an accessorizer - something which I know nothing about, really. But - good for you and laundry pig!!

Sad watching your baby grow up, isn't it? It breaks my heart how fast Emily is growing. She'll be in a big girl bed before we know it - she's a climber and will be out of there in the next few months, I'm betting. Sniff. Oh - I still occasionally have 2am feeds - like last night. She's down to two nursing sessions a day - morning and night. And she milks that morning one for all it is worth - no pun intended.

I did not read the Babysitters Club books. I was going to suggest that they were after my time, but since we are the same age, I must have just not been exposed or interested. I was, however, a massive Judy Blume and Marguerite Henry fan.

Sara said...

Nancy, laundry pigs are awesome. I promise if you buy one it will become your BFF, after your Hubs, of course.

Michele - I LOVE scarves. Mainly because when I walk on the beach my hair gets all whippy and hits me in the face and I hate that. So I use the scarves to tie my hair back and they don't leave a rubber band line like a ponytail holder would. :) I don't like that our babies are growing up. Boo! But I am so proud of her. I can't believe you didn't read the BSC! I found my old books in all of this moving hubaloo and it was like a time machine to my youth. For the record, I still have all my Judy Blume books as well as the Misty of Chincoteague books.

Michele said...

My absolute favorite Marguerite Henry book was San Domingo: The Medicine Hat Stallion. I highly recommend it. I lifted it from my school library (actually, I think I acquired it through a book sale) and I intend to make it Emily's favorite book. My other huge favorite was King of the Wind. Oh how I loved that book.

My other favorite books - the Anne Of Green Gables series. Love the movies too!