Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Craft stuff

So I made a new purse for a friend. She asked me to make it for her daughter and she picked out the fabric. I wasn't really crazy about the prints she picked out, but it ended up looking cute! In case you can't tell from the pictures, the brown print has green in it. That's why she picked the green trim.





I also altered the pattern again and opted for a fold over clasp instead of putting the clasp inside the purse. Mainly because of the awesome blingy button I found that matched the fabric. I had to add it to the purse somehow!

And a craft fail this week. :-(

I periodically use plaster of paris to make a cast of M's handprint. I've been doing it every few months since she was born. She hates holding her hand in the plaster for so long. I found this kit at Hobby Lobby that said it was quick dry so I bought it. It turned out that the "clay" was some unknown substance with the consistency of a marshmallow and it wouldn't hold shape at all. When I would try to push her hand into it, it would crack and crumble. So this is what I ended up with:



Meh. I think I'll just buy a real kit and redo it.

3 comments:

Michele said...

Very cute purse! I'm sorry for the sad hand impression.

I can't remember for the life of me the name of the company but we used to have a guest on the TV show that I worked for who created whole feet and hand impressions from a cool kit. The kit used a gel to make a mold and then you pour the plaster into the mold. Man, I wish my memory was better because I'd love to have a little chubby fist of Emily's before she gets too big.

Sara said...

The hand impression still make my face look like this D:

I know what you're talking about! I used to use those kits when I taught preschool. Only, you're going to hate me, I can't remember the name of them. D'oh!

Michele said...

I've searched the net over and cannot find the name of that company. Rats. All I can remember is a hot Mormon couple owned it and they lived in Utah.