Saturday, April 17, 2010

Sara tries something new...

So this is the worst allergy season in my part of the country in the last 20 years. That's a freaking long time. Anyway, my sensitive little nose has been in a snit all week long and the last couple of days have been especially bad. I've been taking Sudafed every four hours. Then I went to the cardiologist on Friday and my resting heart rate was 120!! Way too high for someone who works out as much as I do. When I told him I was taking Sudafed he said that's probably the culprit. Pseudophedrine can raise your heart rate. Who knew? Anyway, I had to quit taking it and since then my nose has been so stopped up I can't eat or anything because I can't breathe. So tonight I went to the pharmacy and bought one of these:

Yes, that's a Neti Pot. Usually I'm not for trying new things, especially if said new thing involves pouring warm salty water into one nostril, hoping that it (and anything it dislodges) will flow out the other nostril, but lack of oxygen apparently gives you courage, so I gave it a try.

It. was. awesome. Actually, it was gross, but it worked. The first time I didn't tilt my head forward enough and I gagged. The second time the water was too hot and I set my nose on fire. The third time worked like a charm. I can breathe through my nose now. It's amazing. If you are an allergy sufferer like me, GO BUY one of these NOW. Mine cost $11 at my local CVS and was well worth it. You will not be disappointed. The great thing is it has no medication in it, so I can use it as often as I need to.

I LOVE MY NETI POT.

That is all. I know you were all wondering about my snot, so there you go.

And yes, I created a label for Neti Pot. I just may write about it again someday.

1 comment:

Michele said...

It seems so... barbaric. But people swear by the neti pot so I'm not at all surprised it is your new best friend! I'm sorry you're having allergy issues. My California neck of the woods is among the worst in the state for allergies - but because the hubs and I didn't grow up here, we're not affected. Allergies seem to be a geographic thing accompanied by years of exposure. Whenever we go to our hometown at this time of the year, we're both a sneezing and runny nosed mess.