Friday, May 8, 2009

What have you been up to, Sara?

Thanks for asking! No, seriously. I love it when people ask me that. Usually the answer is NOTHING, but this week has been kind of productive.

*M turned 2 this week. I can't believe how grown up she is. She talks a lot now. Last week Hubs went out to mow the lawn and M wanted to know why he was wearing decrepit clothes. I told her, "Daddy is a hobo." Today we went out for our weekly mommy/daughter date at a sit down restaurant. The waiter asked her where her daddy was and she said, "Daddy's a hobo." I would have explained if I hadn't been laughing so hard and shooting coke out of my nose. He didn't ask anymore questions. I made her this cake for her birthday. She wanted a purse. Seriously? Okay, I do not have mad cake skillz, so this is as close as I got. And no, there was not a weird pink rectangle on the cake. Her name was actually on there, but Hubs doesn't like me putting her name on my blog, so I humor him with my mad paint skillz.



I think M humored me when she looked at this cake, because that's a sad looking purse, but I'm not Duff Goldman. It tasted great, though, because I can bake like a fool.

*I LOVE yard sale season. It makes me happy inside. There is a certain happy switch inside me that is not flipped until people start selling random crap out of their garage. I hit a yard sale up this morning and came away with these beauties:

YES! 1928! My favorite!







I got all the jewelry for 10 cents each piece, and the earrings counted as one. So 60 cents, people!!

And I got this great trifle dish for $2.




That's about the extent of what it takes to make me happy. Cake and secondhand junk. I'm not that hard to please.

3 comments:

Michele said...

I love those rings in the last picture of the garage sale treasures - love them. I would have bought them too - and what a freaking bargain! You know, in my neighborhood, people would sell CHEEZY jewelry for five bucks a piece. I guess garbage is worth more in California. :-)

Trifle dish - I'm seeing tiramisu. Can't you see those little lady fingers sticking out of that creamy chocolately moussey stuff?? YUM!

Michele said...

Oh - and don't be hatin' on that purse. I think it's adorable!

Sara said...

The pewter ring with the black and white stones is my favorite (the one on the right in the second picture). It is beautiful. The one with the purple stone is sterling silver. They probably could have gotten more for it. I was shocked that the jewelry was so cheap. Usually it will run anywhere from $5 to $10 at yard sales around here. I was also happy that I dragged my butt out of bed early and was the first one there or I would have missed out!

I made a brownie trifle in the trifle dish, but I will have to do tiramisu soon. MMMMMMMMM.

And thanks for the purse kudos! Personally, I don't care because it tasted great. Butter recipe cake with buttercream icing. YUM. Hubs made fun of it, but I ignored him because he's never baked a cake before in his life. Who is he to criticize?