Monday, August 17, 2009

Thrifty Christmas!

Oh, money! How I love it when you stay in my pocket! I made some marble magnets this week for some friends and the grandparents. I got the idea here:

http://www.notmartha.org/tomake/marblemagnets/

I should have listed notmartha in my favorite blogs. Her blog is AWESOME. It is chock full of fantastic ideas. But I wanted to tackle these nifty magnets. For the record, they cost me $0. That's right. Zero. Sweet.

Anyway, they were wicked easy to make. I used the marbles with the flat bottoms, you know, the kind you bought to put in that vase with those flowers but you never did and now you have a bag of flat bottomed marbles sitting in your house. This is what you use them for. Buy some flat, circular magnets the size of your dud marbles. These are cheap and can be found at any craft store. If you forget to bring your marble to compare, just try to remember that you need something about the size of a penny. Next you need your glue. Hot glue will not work. I used Amazing goop (available at all fine craft stores). I love Amazing goop. It truly is amazing. It dries fast, but not impossibly fast like super glue. It has a really strong hold once it does dry, but it peels right off if you get it on your fingers. It also doesn't burn the dickens out of you like a hot glue gun does. It has a great industrial strength odor, so don't use it in a confined space unless you just want to have visions of purple bears in tutus dancing through the room and then wake up on your neighbor's roof the next day with a lampshade on your head. Not that it has ever happened to me. *ahem*

Your photos need to be good quality. In other words, don't just print something out in word or Paint and expect it to transfer. I found that glossy photos and magazine photos worked best. I did photos of the grandkids for family and for my friends I did photos of things they love. One friend loves to cook, so I cut pictures of tiny food out of magazines for her magnets. They turned out really cute. If you're looking for photos in magazines you need to be very creative. Look for things that might not normally jump out at you, like the pattern of a pillow or clouds in the sky. The marbles magnify everything in your picture so picking out patterns is a lot of fun. Be creative. You can do it, even if you're left brained. Just because you're left brained doesn't mean you can't use your right brain.

Glue the photo to your magnet first, then glue the marble to the photo.

To finish I glued a decorative ribbon (tiny scrapbooking ribbon was the perfect size) around the sides of the marble and magnet to cover up the "seam" where the two were joined and to add a little flair. I love how they turned out!




Happy Christmasing!

P.S. Some of you have expressed interest in recipes. What kind of recipes would you like? I cook just about anything, but my specialties are desserts and breads.

4 comments:

Nancy Face said...

Those look wonderful! My favorite is the blue and white one, because I have plates that look like that hung on the walls all around my kitchen! :)

Michele said...

Oh dessert recipes, please! They don't make me want to throw up.

Love the magnets - very cute and creative.

Sara said...

Nancy, my cake stand is that blue pattern. That's why I picked it! We have awesome taste in dishes.

Michele, dessert recipes it is. I would hate to have you throwing up all over my blog.

Kelly said...

very nice!

breads and desserts! yummy!