Monday, June 15, 2009

And we're back!

Home from a lovely trip home to see the fam. It's good to take a trip once in awhile, am I right? I decided to write today about why I lurve me some road trips. Don't get me wrong, I love flying, but there's something about driving until you think you're going to die from driving overdose and then driving some more. We drove home to see the family last Monday night. Actually Hubs drove and I had dreams of rainbows and unicorns. Doesn't everyone always dream about rainbows and unicorns? I also dreamed of vampires because I've been reading Dracula. If you like vampire books, read it. It's the first and best. And Count Dracula makes Jane look like a tiger striped rescue kitten. Not even kidding.

Anyway, we drove back during the day this time and I LOVED it! We haven't done it since M was born because it was easier to drive at night when she was smaller so she would sleep. We decided to see how a day trip would go this time and neither M or I slept a wink the whole way home. Lucky Hubs! 700 miles of the two of us acting like fools. Here's what I've learned from being on the road:

* Few things thrill me more than driving by an airport when a plane is landing or taking off. I swear, I regress to 3 year old Disney-eyed wonder when it happens. I mean full on arm flapping and "Ooo! Ooo! Ooo!"

* Few things thrill M more than seeing a dog riding in a car. We saw a great big Great Dane sticking his head out of a Jetta window at the beginning of our trip. Cue 300 miles of "Puppy car? Puppy car?"

* Nothing beats a cold Coke and a bag of Munchos on a road trip. We destroyed that bag of chips.

* Truckers are more likely to sing along with "Jailhouse Rock" than with "Oh Darling" when you sing over the CB radio.

* Deer are stupid animals who run toward danger. Nice meadow with fluffy grass? Nah, I'm going to run out onto the interstate with 9 billion cars.

* It takes a 247 song playlist to get us from the fam home to our home.

* Burger King chicken fries will fit perfectly into the seat belt slots on a carseat.

* Never stop at a gas station called "Artie's" and expect the bathroom to be clean.

* Hubs and I can harmonize pretty well to Beatles songs.

* I love the mountains. Even though I grew up in an area of plains and waving wheat, something good happens to my heart when I see my mountains rising up in front of me.

All in all, although the drive was fun, I am happy to be back in my house, back in my chair, and back to my blog.

5 comments:

Michele said...

What is it with freaking deer??? We live in a neighborhood where they multiply like rabbits and insist on camping out in my yard eating my gaura. Which they aren't really supposed to like. They step out in front of cars as if they are daring the drivers to run them over. One foggy morning, my husband was driving to work. He got about a mile out of our driveway when a deer hit him. You read that, right? A deer HIT him. It ran into his rear tire and bounced off of it. It ran off into the bushes so we don't know if any damage was done. But it left a big chunk of stiff deer hair hanging off of the fender well. Good times.

We're about to leave for the evening - driving 3 hours one way to San Francisco to see the Giants play. Emily's first baseball game. And, after the third time I left her in the church nursery (two days ago), she has a cold. It seems mild so we're going to go for it but it should be an interesting drive nonetheless.

Glad you're back!! I hope you have time for Tom the Weird beard this Wed. but if you have to push to next week, I'll understand. By the way, we rented Wild Hogs the other night and Tom was in it... as well as that freaky big-toothed mercenary guy. They were buds. It made me laugh.

Sara said...

I believe you about the deer running into him. Want to know why? When I was in college a deer full on ran headfirst into my passenger door when I was driving home after a night class. IDIOT Deer.

If you want car trips for keeping your little one occupied in the car, let me know. I have hoards of them.

And I just did my Tom post! Yay! and I remember him in Wild Hogs. LOVE HIM.

Sara said...

That was supposed to say car tips, not trips. Can you tell my brain is still fried from the trip?

Michele said...

The drive went okay - she got fussy for the last half hour so I just threw goldfish at her.

Nancy Face said...

That sounds like lots of fun! I loved reading the funny stuff you learned! :D