Sunday, February 28, 2010

30 things

I turned 30 this month. That's right. I'm a geezer now. I was actually excited about it. When you have a heart that doesn't beat the way it's supposed to 80% of the time, birthdays are a big deal.

Thing is, 30 has not been kind to me so far. We got in a fender bender. Someone ran over our mailbox (again). I found out that the reason I've been so depressed lately, had unbelievable insomnia and the reason that my hair is falling out is because my thyroid medication is off by 35 mcg, and we're having insurance troubles as far as getting them to give me my new dosage. M and I have had a stomach virus for the past week, and so on so forth. It's nothing really big, but just a bunch of little annoyances that tend to wear you down, you know? So I decided today that I am going to write out 30 things that I've loved since I turned 30. 30 things. Here goes:

1. I love that LOST came back on. I will miss it when it's gone after this season.

2. I love the Olympics. I'm not usually a sports person, but I will watch the Olympics with fervor. Any and all events from cross country skiing to curling to hockey. I love it. And, as Morgan Freeman is reminding me RIGHT NOW, I could use my Visa card this month and win a trip to the Olympics for the rest of my life. Awesome.

3. I made a new friend and I love her. She has three beautiful children. We have a playdate every Monday morning now. Tomorrow it is at her house and I'm surprising her with asiago bagels from Panera, her favorite.

4. I love that this week on The Office Jim and Pam are having their baby.

5. I love that Hubs took my birthday off from work and brought me flowers, kept M for the day so I could go shopping without a stroller and a diaper bag, then took me to dinner at PF Changs aka the best restaurant on the face of the planet.

7. I love that one of the first kids I taught in preschool at church got to stand up in front of the church today and talk about the change he's making in his classroom, his school, and his community. I thought my heart would burst.

8. I love the new clothes I've made for M's princess dolls, and that I have a good sewing machine so I can make things for her.

9. I love that I have a hubs who's willing to dance around in the living room with a tutu on his head just to make his daughter laugh.

10. I love that my friend who has been trying to have a baby for MONTHS is finally pregnant and I can be excited with her.

11. I love that Hubs fills my car with gas for me so I don't have to.

12. I love that M wanted to buy the people at the library stickers, because they're always giving stickers to her.

13. I love that Hubs got me a cast iron skillet for my birthday, and I love cooking him dinner in it.

14. I love that I can fit back into my "college jeans."

15. I love playing snowball fight on WiiFit plus (another birthday present).

16. I love that my mother-in-law got me three awesome scrabble tile necklaces from etsy for my birthday.

17. I love that M tells me that I'm "still the prettiest." I guess she means even though I'm old. That's what I'm going to tell myself.

18. I love that Hubs and I still sit under his grandmother's faded quilt on the couch, drinking hot cocoa, and watching Office reruns together.

19. I love that he tries to sit up with me when I have insomnia, even though I eventually nag him into going to bed.

20. I love that my friend told me that Mr. Clean magic erasers will clean soap scum out of the tub. Werd.

21. I love that even though it's still bitterly cold here the sun has been shining for the last few days.

22. I love the little chipmunk who has taken up residence in our flowerbed.

23. I love that I have a daughter who apologizes to people when she steps on their feet by accident.

24. I love that Hubs bought a new trash can for the kitchen without my asking. I hadn't even told him yet that the latch on the old one was broken.

25. I love the fact that Glee is coming back on soon.

26. I love that my new friend gave me her recipe for Honey Wheat bread, and that it's baking now and making my house smell good.

27. I love that M gave me the nickname "Big Bird" and Hubs got stuck with "Snuffleupagus."

28. I love that my birthday was on the 8th, but my birthday balloon still has air in it.

29. I love that Hubs is letting me get a new couch. Our current one is falling apart.

30. I love that I have a blog where I can put my thoughts out there, even if there aren't many people reading them. I thank the ones who do read them. :)

2 comments:

Michele said...

I love that you actually found 30 things to love... I'm impressed actually.

Happy Birthday - 30 isn't so bad. Finally old enough to be taken seriously and young enough to still seriously party (not that you will - but just knowing you can if you want to).

Sara said...

Ha! When I decided to do that, I wondered if I could really find 30 things that happened in a couple of weeks, but I did. Hmmm...makes me think that life's not as bad as I think it is half the time. :)